Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Assessment



One of the two articles I read was the Lose article on early intervention and a responsive teacher. As I was reading this I felt as if the instructions on when to identify learning disabilities and how to help children through reading difficulties can be applied to any difficulty in learning and not just reading. The article also mentions that each child needs an individualized plan tailored precisely for their learning abilities. This is something that I feel teachers should already know, because all children learn at a different pace; however, I understand that those strategies for children with learning disabilities may be very different and more complex. As the sister of a younger brother who has many learning disabilities, I feel like it is important to catch the signs early on in order to develop the proper plan as well as provide the proper time it will need to take with that student.

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you on your thoughts about identifying learning disabilities early on. I think this could encompass all subjects, not just reading even though in some cases reading could be the "easiest" to indicate or find. I valued what you said about teachers knowing to have a plan for each child because they all learn differently and I agree it's our responsibility to know that!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the point that you made about applying early intervention strategies to all children, not just ones who are flagged as having learning disabilities. It's become increasingly apparent to me how pertinent individual instruction is in today's classroom, and IEPs are incredibly important for this idea.

    ReplyDelete